Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Monster Reindeer Ornament

I have a little story for you, my nephew was drinking this Monstertm Energy drink when i was visiting the family in Colorado this past summer and I'm always looking for stuff to craft with so I grabbed the top from him because I thought it would be perfect to make something out of it. Well, it's been sitting in my craft room since June and the other day he asked me about it. I had forgotten all about it, so I got it out and brainstormed and made him an ornament for his tree. He has a new home this year and it will be a great gift for him for his first home and Christmas tree of his own.
I went with an idea from Shelly Hickox's blog. She did this really cool tutorial of a 3D reindeer tag. I thought this would be perfect for this little bottle cap. 




First I sanded it a little so that the glue and tissue would stick well. I used modge podge to adhere Tim's tissue wrap to the outside and inside and then went over that with Faded Jeans Distress Ink. Once that was all dry I sprayed the entire thing with Perfect Pearl Spray in silver to add some shimmer and I let that dry. I used Shelly's technique for creating the reindeer and added some holiday project paper to it with glue and seal. I used a Dollar Store mini wreath, cut the red bow off of it and created a bow in the color that I wanted and glued it on. A friend of mine Anita Houston inspired me to use real acorn tops and some pearls for the acorn. (you should have seen me out in my back yard gathering up all kinds of little acorn tops LOL.) Everything came together nicely I think. I hope my nephew likes his ornament. I just love it and I want to keep it. haha!!
I am entering this ornament into Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog this week it's "Anything Goes" and they are giving away a 50.00 voucher for their online store. So generous!
Thanks for coming by :)

8 comments:

  1. That's just such a cute ornament. You would never know it was a monster cap unless you were told. I really like that 3D reindeer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and great idea to use the cap as a base!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome ornament, Claudine! You did a great job on your reindeer. Your nephew is sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it´s great to make something different for Christmas, and the result is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I got the acorn idea from Shelly too!!! She's a genius that girl! Gorgeous! I love the Monster Energy cap too...FUN and personal! Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ornament! Love all the great little details! Thanks for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea and it came out so very "Merry"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super transformation! I can see why you don't want to send it after all... a super make!

    ReplyDelete