Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Altered Playing Card Challenge Week 3

Hello all and welcome back to our 3rd week of 
The Altered Playing Card Challenge


This is week 3 on this wonderful journey and I hope you all are having fun with your personal deck. I for one, am loving this. 
Here is a link to our Facebook group if you would like to join and share ideas and your creations.


and here are links to week one and two if your playing catch up


This week I created my backgrounds two different ways.
For my first card I used alcohol inks in a few different colors, ginger, caramel, latte and stream, then using a distress tool, I dabbed my background to give it some color




I didn't quite like the way it looked above, so I waited for the first layer to dry and then I dabbed some more of the same colors again


Much better!

Once that was done and dry, I used archival ink and a stencil onto my background


I only wanted to use part of this stencil and not all of it so I sectioned it off using sticky notes and left the portion that I wanted to use exposed 
I used Wendy Vecchi's Potting Soil color to apply



This is how my background looked after, I love it!!


I then used Tim Holtz Gears dies to create some gears with distress paper

I then used my sanding block to sand the paper here and there and colored the edged with the same Wendy Vecchi Archival ink


I added my gears using glue

I then used Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs and added the word "time" onto the side panel

I used a phrase in this Tim Holtz stamp set to stamp my word onto the background using archival jet black ink

Lastly, I used a copper paint pen to edge the outside of my card.

Here is my first finished card, I love the steampunk feel


For the 2nd card I wanted to do something "fall-ish" so this time I used distress inks to color my background, (you can use any kind of ink pad for this step)
 starting in the center and using a distress tool, I applied the color mustard seed first


I then used the color spiced marmalade for the outer portion (you can see here that this particular card I made with some texture)


I then used the color Vintage Photo to go around my outer edge


Next I cut some fall foliage out using Tim's Die called
Autumn Gatherings and also using distress paper for this


I sanded these and then used the vintage photo distress ink again to darken some of the edges


I used Tim's "Wanted" decorative strip letter die to cut out the word "fall" and also a mover and shaper bird from black card stock
(sorry I didn't take a photo)

Glueing everything on, here is my finished 2nd card
as you can see I went around my bird with the white gel pen as well


Here are my two cards together


I hope you have enjoyed today's two cards, they are very different but super fun! Weather you chose to do yours the same or completely different, I wish you luck this week.

The winner of the give-a-way from last week was drawn at random and is Michele - please send me an email with your address!
Here was Michele's Comment

Claudine your cards are just gorgeous! I'm excited to get my 1st 2 done. I love that you are leading us through this adventure! xo

Michele will win this package:


Look for our next give-a-way in a few weeks. 
Have fun and can't wait to see what you create.
p.s. - I haven't yet put together my cards for next week so I will post a "supply list" on the Facebook page as soon as I know
Cheers!!!

Supplies for next week - 
1. Tissue Paper
2. Janet Klien Digi stamps (I used the City Girl set)
3. Stampotique Clouds Stamp 2 Nauges
4. Acrylic Paint in various coordinating colors
5. Gelli Prints or Printed Paper
6. Sharpie Black Marker or any other black marker that will write over acrylic paint
That's it, next week will be easy on supplies

22 comments:

  1. great use of product--anxious to see what I come up with once I start digging around in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another set of great cards and it goes wonderful with the weather outside.
    Great backgrounds, Claudine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both soooo gorgeous! Don't have any alcohol inks yet, so I'll use distress inks on both of mine. I absolutely adore the distressed cogs, so they will likely feature on mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Guess I need to go drag my inks out and get to work on the next two cards.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fabulous and so different from one another!

    I haven't had my alcohol inks out in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both cards, Claudine, but "steampunk" catches my eye every time!! Last week was such fun for both Russ and me. We will need to pay catch up next week as we are camping again this week! I will be watching the Facebook group for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two fantastic cards Claudine, great colours and theme. For those of us who don't do FB could you please amend this blog post with the materials list, thank you :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these two cards. Will dig out the alcohol inks and see if they will behave for me. Will you post the list here as well for us non-facebookers. If not we will just have to wing it. Hee hee Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such yummy colors ... Fall is my fav time of year do I'm just loving these ... Can't wait to get started in mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally, I've caught up with Weeks 2 & 3. Thanks for the inspiration, Claudine, this should be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them both but I think my favorite is the fall one. I love fall, the colors and pumpkins, the beautiful leaves. But I hate what comes after....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am having so much fun with this challenge. Of course I don't have the supplies you have but I use what I have. Your cards look great! I like the gears and the fall card is fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh WOW i can't believe i won the first giveaway! i'm so excited! will send you my address shortly. thank you so very much. meanwhile i do love these 2 new cards! i'm so glad we get to use alcohol inks this time! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two more great cards. I'm having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claudine these are really beautiful! Fall and Steampunk are two of my favorite themes--right after sea/ocean/creatures! I am having a blast and was so happy to be able to stick a little closer to the design this week:

    http://craftymoosecrafts.blogspot.com/2014/09/apc-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leaving the link to week 3 of the Challenge on my Blog here as don't do FB, thank you :-)

    http://massofhair.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/apc-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Claudine, I adore these cards. I'm a big fan of Steampunk, and you do it so well. Love how both cards turned out, too. Thanks for posting the supplies we will need for next week. It helps me know what I have and don't have.

    Even though I had none of the supplies you used this week, I tried. Thanks for being such a great host, especially since I'm not on FB.

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2014/09/altered-playing-card-challenge-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these Claudine, need to go and get mine started :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here are my cards 3 and 4:
    http://2amscrapper.blogspot.com/2014/09/atered-playing-cards-3-and-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the links. I hope it's OK to start late! this looks like fun

    ReplyDelete
  21. http://dreamingofcastles.blogspot.com/2014/09/playing-card-challenge-week-3-of-26.html

    Got my cards posted for week 3 this evening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Claudine and APC friends. Finally my link for my week 3 and 4 cards Hugz http://craftynomad.blogspot.no/2014/10/if-ten-of-spades-is-yellow-what-colour.html

    ReplyDelete