Pages

Monday, December 14, 2015

Tim Holtz Flip Frame Christmas Display

Hello and welcome back to the blog today. I had a bit of free time last week, (just a small bit) and I know I haven't been crafting a whole lot lately due to my busy schedule so I wanted to really sit down and go back to some of the things I love to do. 
Tim Holtz has always been one of my favorite styles and designers and as soon as I saw his flip frame, my brain went into overdrive. I love the idea of a flip frame for multiple uses but for today I made a Christmas display.


This Christmas display is loosely based on one of Tim's older 12 tags. It's from his post way back in 2011, if you want to check out Tim's tutorial here is the link

On the edges of the frame I added some snowflake paste so it looked like there was little snow, I sat that aside to dry.
(Snowflake paste is something that my store Simple Pleasures where I work sells it and  has gotten it in stock like 3 times and it keeps selling out, we cannot keep the stuff on the shelves.)



Next, I added some of Tim's Holiday letterpress blocks to the outside of my frame with my glue gun BUT first I added some really nice red glitter to each letter. I simply added a little glossy accents to the front of the letters and dipped them into the red glitter face first, setting them aside to dry



my last step was the centerpiece, which was mostly explained on Tim's Blog with his 12 Tags of 2011 Tag 2 
I used the general idea for the reindeer and background for my display. Tim used Seasonal Craft Resist for the background behind his reindeer and I am out of the seasonal SO, I used some of the butterfly craft paper that I had. To add the resist, I used versamark and stamped the word "Believe" from the stamp set called Handwritten Holidays.  I then used clear embossing powder to heat set. This way when I went over the entire background with white distress stain, the word "believe" resists the stain, so it pops. 
Once my middle section was mostly complete I added two Jingle Brads to the bottom and also made a poinsettia for the bottom right side. 
My poinsettia was made using Tim's Tattered Poinsettia Die
and for the leaves I used Tim's Holly branch die. I also used these little things called "Prills" in the center of my poinsettia
They are these tiny little beads that you just adhere with glossy accents or any other clear glue. They are fabulous, we have them at Simple Pleasures and we ship!! They are the best thing and they give the center of my poinsettia a realistic look. I also added a touch of gold glitter to them
 Check it out:


I just added a bit of greenery around the reindeer to mimic a wreath and attached an ideology snowflake with burlap ribbon
I love how it turned out, so festive!





This makes a super fun display piece for Christmas. 
I hope you have enjoyed the little tutorial, I'm off to take it to work with me and share it with my co-workers!! 
CHEERS!!




2 comments:

  1. That's really beautiful, Claudine. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the coworkers all swooned over it! Gorgeous scene with the deer. LOVE the letterpress too!

    ReplyDelete