Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Altered Playing Card Challenge Week 7

Welcome back to another week of the Altered Playing Card Challenge
I'm so excited that this challenge continues to grow and we continue to get more and more playing along.


If you have missed any of the previous weeks
Here are your links 


and our Facebook page

Facebook Group

If you would like to follow along on the playing card challenge Pinterest Board here is the link

Pinterest Board

I made an artist trading block awhile back based on the twelve tags of 2014, the post is HERE

I really wanted this week's theme to be based on that  same theme, sort of a "Sea" theme
So for my first Altered Playing Card I went with the seahorse thing.

To begin this card I used a piece of packaging plastic and a "bubble" embossing folder
Running the plastic through the sizzix to create my embossed plastic


I also used grungeboard and a seahorse movers and shaper to create my seahorse



I used different colors of card stock and a Tim Holtz die to cut out my leaves




For the background to all this I used several different shades of distress inks and applied them with a sponge




This is a cool mistake, I had no idea that when I applied drops of water to my distress ink that they would react like this, how cool is this? I'm guessing that since we applied gesso first that the effect was cause by the gesso underneath the distress inks




I used several colors of Distress paint (you can use any kind of paint you want here) to color my seahorse
I also used clear rock candy over that to get some cracking in my horse, I set aside to dry



I then edged the horse and also the leaves with Archival ink





I then used my card as a template to cut my embossed packing plastic the right size



I used a piece of redline tape right in the center of the plastic in order for the center to stay down. I then used my mini stapler to staple the edges
Look at that background, you can see some of the original card through the blues, I love it!




I then used glossy accents to glue down my leaves and seahorse



I then wrote my sentiment on a piece of paper that was previous colored with archival inks and adhered that with glossy accents as well.
Here is my finished card



Now if you don't want the dimension like I have achieved here, you can always just stamp the bubbles, leaves, seahorse etc instead of using what I did. 

For my next card I decided to used painters tape to block off the section of card I wanted to stamp my image
My main image is going to go under this tape



I then used several different colors of inks to color my background
(my card previously had the swirls in each corner, I did this into my gesso when I prepped my cards)




I then used some nautical stamps to stamp onto my background in a dark brown ink
I also went around my edge with black ink



Then you just carefully peel your tape up and you have this white space




I then used black ink to stamp my ship
(this is a Stampin' Up stamp set I bought years ago)



I used distress markers and a water brush to color my image, it looked like a watercolor when I finished



I then used some leftover tag paper to stamp my anchor 
I used colored pencil to color my anchor but I could have used the distress markers here again
After I colored my anchor I cut it out



I also stamped my word onto some rick-rack leftover paper and cut it out like a banner ribbon



I adhered both the anchor and word to the upper corner of my card



Lastly I colored my swirls with black marker, here is what my finished card looks like



and here are my finished two cards for this week



I hope that you have enjoyed this weeks card, I always love seeing what you all put together. 
Have a great week!!!


17 comments:

  1. Oh I Loooooooove this theme and your cards are simply stunning! Will have to have a think about this one. Thanks Claudine! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sea theme this week( well ANY week is an ocean/beach week ). Don't have Tim's seahorse or the bubble embossed folder so will really have to think on this one. Thanks Claudine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the nautical theme! I know I have similar images but hope to go off in a slightly different direction...pouring rain so hopefully my mojo is in for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ocean inspired cards! Mahalo for the new ideas & techniques....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative and gets us to use some new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool theme. I don't have anything close to this, but I will see what I can come up with. Going to be a challenge. Awesome cards btw.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great Claudine. Love the embossed plastic. I am trying to keep mine flattish but I do like this effect. Now isn't that great. Predictive text thought flattish should read flatfish. Very apt. Love the nautical theme. A little excited cos some of those supplies you used I have! Back soon. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claudine amazing work you did on these. Love your altered cards. They turn out so different !!!
    Thank you for sharing your art !!
    Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way cool Claudine! Love the beachy nautical themes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely altered cards! Very cool designs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again I'm super impressed by your latest theme. Although I had none of the requisite products or tools (again), I was able to follow a nautical theme. Mine are not as detailed or clever as your cards, because yours have so many lovely layers. You did an excellent job creating something unique. I really like what you did with your die cutting embossing folder. That was SPLENDID.

    Again, I'm not on Facebook or Pinterest, so I appreciate you allowing us to share our art here:

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2014/10/altered-playing-card-week-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudine! This was my favorite theme, so far! I really like your creative way of adding bubbles to your card. I find I am enjoying this challenge more and more and am happy I joined! Thanks so much for all the inspiration.

    Here is my link this week:

    http://craftymoosecrafts.blogspot.com/2014/10/apc-week-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't tell which one I like more. I keep going back and forth. They're both wonderful. I never thought of using painter's tape to mask the center of a work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog. These are wonderful! Am I too late to play?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi here's my nautical themed wonders. Since these aren't flat I went all out on both so there is no way anyone is going to be shuffling this deck! OK, maybe King Kong ROFL. Having such fun with these. So glad to be up to date. Can't see it lasting ha ha ha ha ha bonk.

    http://craftynomad.blogspot.no/2014/10/all-at-sea.html

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the embossing on plastic, it gives such a fun effect! Your cards are beautiful.
    I finished my week 7 and have them on my blog here:
    http://tangledbluerose.blogspot.com/2014/10/october-20-31-days-of-halloween-wicked.html

    Thanks for so much inspiration and now on to week 8!
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love the idea of embossing the bubbles into the acetate. Both sea themed cards are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete