Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Altered Playing Card Challenge Week 9

Welcome back to another week of the Altered Playing Card Challenge
This is week 9 and boy has it been so much fun! I'm thrilled that so many have taken on this challenge and are having fun with it.
We are up to 207 members on the Facebook page and we have some that aren't on Facebook but do participate each week.


Last week was a bi-week due to my foot surgery so I hope that those that were a bit behind or had just joined in were able to catch up

If you have missed any week's here are the pertinent links


and our Facebook page

Facebook Group

and the Pinterest Board link

Pinterest Board

For this week's challenge we have a wonderful sponsor
Susana's Custom Art and Card Design
There are some fabulous Digi stamps over on her online store so make sure to check them out
She has also been so generous to offer a "Buy 4, get one free sale",  to all those that are playing along with us.
Just add "APC" in the  "comments" section at checkout and also which digi stamp you chose for free, also in the comments section and that's it!  How cool is that!? This deal is only for a limited time so hurry if you want to take advantage of it.
(you certainly don't have to use the digi stamps, you can go your own way and use whatever you already have)

I didn't really go with a theme this week, I just made some cards without thinking about themes.
For card #1 I wanted to do something with the Monster Chill digi stamp, I think he is just so cute

I started out by spraying my background with Dylusions
Somehow I keep ending up with green and yellow together haha! I will have to make sure and use some crazy colors next week lol



I had already drawn out the circles on my card when I gessoed them so I wanted to do something with those circles.
I decided to make flowers, so I got out my marker and started to draw
I don't pretend to be good at drawing, (because I'm not at all) I just kind of wing it



I also wanted some stems and centers for my flowers and decided to use wash tape on paper to create those
All you do is add tape to plain paper and then cut out whatever you want
I free-hand cut my stems and use circle punches for the centers





I doodled a bit more with the black marker and white pen

I then printed my digi stamp in three different sizes and chose the size that was right for the card
I colored my stamp with copic markers and cut him out



After coloring my image, I decided that it wasn't the right color for this project because the green blended in too much with the green on the card, I re-printed him and colored him again with another color
Here is my finished card




I really like him better in the orange, he stands out much better with that busy background. I also printed out my quote and cut it out and added it

For card #2 I wanted to go with subtle instead of bright and bold
I started with some distress paint in the color of antique linen, it's a subtle off-white color

I had gotten black paint on my card by accident so I wiped it off and it left a stain, but that's ok cause I'm going to cover it up

This color is very subtle, here is what my card looked like after the paint went on

I then used adirondack ink in a pesto green color called Oregano and also used a stencil to create a subtle background, I applied the adirondack color lightly



I then glued on some pieces of torn Tim Holtz tissue paper




Using distress ink I lightly applied vintage photo around my edges and onto my background




I then splattered water onto my background



Next, I used a piece of worded paper and cut some flowers out with a memory box die called Prim Poppy


I adhered that to my background and also added lace to the bottom portion of my card



I chose a digi stamp called Peaceful Thoughts for this card, the girl is so sweet and subtle with her flowers
I colored her with copic markers and cut her out



This is what my 2nd card looks like finished



Here are my two Altered Playing Cards side by side



It's kind of funny how they are so different but the colors are very similar in both cards. Maybe that can be the theme this week, how to use the same colors in two different ways, Bright and Bold and Subtle

Enjoy making your cards this week, I will see you back next Monday with more altered cards and we will have a drawing next week!!
CHEERS!!!


13 comments:

  1. Oh I like that idea... bold and subtle with the same colours... My thinking cap is on!
    Love these cards. Such awesome designs. Hope you're recovering nicely from your surgery! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never used digistamps and never planned to so will see what happens in the end. Busy art week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the backgrounds on both of these and the colors of the characters are cool :D Hope you are feeling better and stronger each day <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudine, hope you are feeling OK after the surgery. Missed you last week, although I didn't manage to get my week 8 cards finished and have forgotten to bring them with me on my holiday!! So I will be playing serious catch up next week when I get home. Love these two. The flowers and the monster are so cute and I love the sentiment. Oh yeah, that's me all over. May have to borrow that one. The second card is lovely as well. Love how you coloured the girl. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got your artsy on with these! Great color and love the free hand work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, I had NOTHING similar, so I took your advice and went with Bright & Bold and Subtle. Loved what you did, as always. You make such lovely cards.

    My week 9 entry:

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2014/11/apc-week-9-bright-bold-and-subtle.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your cards. Is it too late to join in this challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These came out totally awesome! I have to explore digi stamps a bit more--there is so much out there that I am new to, that it is sometimes a sensory overload!

    Here are my cards for Week 9:

    http://craftymoosecrafts.blogspot.com/2014/11/apc-week-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping you are much better after your operation Claudine, have not managed to keep up so have blogged the last three weeks in one post, hope this is ok!

    Thank you for the inspiration to try something new each week, am really enjoying joining in, thank you :-) xxx

    http://massofhair.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/playing-catch-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catching up. My cards are here: http://2amscrapper.blogspot.com/2014/11/altered-playing-cards-15-and-16-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this pair, such a happy silly monster and sweet girl! I am catching up this weekend!
    My week 9 cards are here:
    http://tangledbluerose.blogspot.com/2014/11/altered-playing-card-week-9apcc.html

    Thanks so much for a fun play and I am glad you are doing well!
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudine, here they are at last. See, I had to use that sentiment. Hugz
    http://craftynomad.blogspot.no/2014/12/snowbirds-and-mercats.html

    ReplyDelete