Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Altered Playing Card Challenge Week 16

It's Monday again and you know what that means, another week of The Altered Playing Card Challenge!! YAY!


If you have missed any of the previous week's here are the links

and our Facebook page

and the Pinterest Board link

Pinterest Board

For this week's cards I wanted to do backgrounds with the same technique 
(sorry if my photos are a little dark this week, my light on my desk didn't want to work for me)

To start out I took both cards and picked an acrylic paint color for the backgrounds, you can use any color that you like for this step.
I just used a brush and painted the color on completely. I then set them aside to dry for a minute or two or three. LOL





I wanted to use tissue paper over my colored background so I took some Tim Holtz tissue paper and crumpled it up and used matte medium to adhere it to my background
I like the crumpled look for this (just simple wad it up in your hands and then straighten it back out before adhering)


I set the background aside to dry after I had it smooched and applied the way I liked it. The tissue paper will go over the edges at this point. You want your tissue piece to be bigger than you card so you can crumple it



after that was all dry, I cut the edges off, leaving these really cool textured backgrounds


For my first card I wanted to use this really cool Dina Wakley stamp, I stamped her onto white card stock and heat embossed her, I like to emboss the images before I color them with the Copic markers, it keeps the black ink from running into the marker color


Next I cut her out and colored her with colic markers


I decided that my girl looked better on my background without the words on her side so I cut those off


I picked a sentiment from this Donna Downey set and stamped it onto white card stock and cut it out
(I used this set for both of my Altered playing Card sentiments this week)


I used my black enamel accents to add three little dots in the upper right of my card. I love that the enamel gives depth


Here is my first finished APC
I just love the way the tissue paper makes that background look, specially with the color behind it


For my second altered playing card I used some Stampotique stamps
Agatha Star - By Artist Magda Polokow
and Daniel's Hearts by artist Daniel Torrente

I stamped them both onto white card stock and embossed them
I then colored them both with copic markers


For the embossing, I stamp my stamps with black ink and cover the image with clear embossing powder and then heat set. 

I then cut out my images and adhered them to my background. I picked a sentiment from the same Donna Downey stamp set above
Here is my finished second APC


And here are the two cards together


I hope you will give this background a try. If you don't have the Tim Holtz tissue paper, you can create your own by using regular clear or white tissue paper and just stamp all over it, let it dry and then adhere it to your painted background. I have done this! Just make sure to let the ink dry thoroughly after you stamp all over it

I hope you have fun with this week's cards. See ya next week! Have a Happy New year!!!

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Love them both, such great colours and great quirky images!
    Hope you had a fab Christmas. I've not been at all well this month (just about back on my feet now though!), so will need to play catch-up asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudine, these are great. Love the backgrounds. The tissue against the bright backgrounds looks great. Have a few APC's part finished on my desk. Must get myself organised. A good time for that. Hope you had a lovely Christmas. Have a very Happy New Year. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss these before??! Fabulous cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I have discovered my artsy New Years resolution. I'm going to challenge myself to go back and do all of these challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the tissue wrap over the painted backgrounds! Gorgeous technique and fab results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the backgrounds on these cards and so easy to do. Many thanks for inspiring us each week with a new technique. Wishing you a Happy New Year with lots of craftyness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful APC's Claudine loving the bright colours, here is my take i do hope you like!.
    http://massofhair.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/sdc-176-week-5-and-apcs.html

    Love all the new techniques i am learning and much appreciate you running this challenge. Stay well and enjoy the New Year celebrations :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was truly amazed at how the first layer changed the whole dynamic of the tissue. I really adore YOURS. Very impressive.

    Mine this week:

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2015/01/altered-playing-cards-week-16.html

    and I even stamped on my tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to mention, Happy New Year and thanks for all you do to make these APCs happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This week was really fun! My cards are a little more rugged or is that ragged than yours, but I was pleased with the result all the same.

    http://craftymoosecrafts.blogspot.com/2015/01/apc16.html

    Wishing you all the best in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these images and sentiments! Your creations are always so fun and such a pleasure to view. I really enjoyed this technique like the one before. So flexible and fun!
    Thanks so much cannot wait til Monday!
    ~kim

    http://tangledbluerose.blogspot.com/2015/01/apcc-week16altered-playing-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudine, the link above for week 15 doesn't work. Thought you might like to know that. I'm just going to scroll on down. HUgz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, me again. At last. Here they are. My masterpieces bwahahahahahahaha. Sorry, too much sugar LOL.

    http://craftynomad.blogspot.no/2015/01/all-about-cats.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally got this one done. http://2amscrapper.blogspot.com/2015/01/creative-projects-that-inspire-my-heart.html

    ReplyDelete