Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Halloween Rules!!!!


This particular project was done with a lot of chaos on my brain. I actually wanted to join in so many challenges this week that my brain was all scrambled, so in order to join them all I came up with one design and used loads of techniques. :)
I am entering this into the Simon Says Stamp and Show with their challenge being Rustification!! and also the Studio L3 - Compendium of Curiosities 2 ,Their challenge this week is based on Tim's book and techniques, this weeks technique is  Alcohol Ink Resist and is listed in Tim's Compendium of Curiosities Book on page 59. 
I'm also putting this one on Tim Holtz blog for the 12 tags of 2012, this will be the very first time I was able to participate. No worries though, I have a huge idea brewing in order to complete all the tags of 2012, I'm just a bit behind!! HAHA!!!!
I also entered this one into Inspiration Emporium's October Challenge.. Spooky Decorations!!!
For this project, I  have about 4 or 5 of my daughter's old school rulers on my work station and I decided, "why not alter one for Halloween" ... so I got the paint out and let the magic begin. 
1st.... drilled holes for the label pulls on the back (these will actually act as my stand for the entire project. I used Tim's Rusted metal technique to make the label pulls distressed and old looking and then used brads to attach them to the ruler's back so the ruler will stand on it's side.


2nd.... pulled off one side of the ruler numbers and painted black with paint dabbers


3rd..... used Tim's Tissue Wrap technique listed on his blog for this months tag of 2012. (if you haven't seen this, go check out his blog, it's fantastic)
4th.....more paint dabber colors and perfect pearls mists



5th.....Used my Tim Holtz dies, On The Edge Graveyard and New Decorative Strip Halloween Shadows to cut out my shapes, I really like the Halloween Shadows and I really wish those kids came in a Big Steel Die (hint hint Mr. Holtz) Anyhow, I cut the graveyard out of grungeboard and the Kids out of Distress Paper. I wanted the kids to pop a little so I also cut them out of thin cardboard as well and painted that white. I layered the white underneath the black card stock (that I distressed) to give it a shadow type of look. With the graveyard I used a bunch of different techniques, one was Tim's distress stickles dry glitter with alcohol inks, I love the way it turned out. I also used a distressed metal technique on one of the crosses and used clear embossing powder and distress ink on some of the other gravestones. 
6th..... Stamped the Black bird from Tim's Mini Halloween 2 stamp set  onto grungeboard and cut him out. Again used Tim's dry glitter technique on him. Not covering the entire bird but just a little.
7th.....To create the 31 sign, I used the Holiday Lamp Post die but only cut out a portion of it in grungeboard. I then used the Dry Glitter technique, once again, on that. I used Tim's alcohol ink resist technique on the 31 and the sign, I also outlined the "31" numbers with black marker to make them pop a little more.
8th... glue glue glue, I used E6000 to adhere most of this project to the ruler and some glossy accents and red line tape.
9th... added some finishing touches to the "Trick or Treat" with white gel pen and red eyes to the bat and added a few grunge paper pumpkins, a tree and grunge board swirl and Whalla!!! It's done and looks so cute on my side table in the living room! I love it!!!


Here are a few more close ups of the entire project.





16 comments:

  1. This is just so cool! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that's just a little bit on the Awesome side. SO cool!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, Claudine! Way to work that brain chaos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is that?!! I love it, very creative using the ruler as a base.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really went to town. Very clever using the label pulls as stands for the back of the ruler. So many techniques, can't imagine how long all of that took. Very creative Claudine! Good luck on all the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way too cute! I'll have to start collecting rulers now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claudine, I have seen so many beautiful Halloween creations this season, but your ruler creation is absolutely amazing! I do believe that you have discovered a whole new altered genre!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy FANTASTIC!!!!! I love it! You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your creativity and how you repurposed the ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations over at SSS! This is such a great holiday piece, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudine - this is a wonderful project. I would never have guessed it was an altered ruler. A beautiful and unique take on Tim's tag this month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super project! I adore all of the details and appreciate your sharing the steps you took!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the originality of your Halloween project. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete