I have to admit I have been in sort of a slump for a short bit and haven't been partaking in my usual challenges last week or the week prior so I decided I better get into my craft room and just do what I love.
WARNING: Lots of Pictures and long post. :) Grab some coffee!!
When I saw that Tim Holtz challenged us over at his blog Here to use our Sizzix tattered floral die, I knew I had to do this. I also wanted to join in on Simon Says Stamp and Show this week. Their challenge is to use a stamp that we love but never use.
I have had this Easter Blueprints Tim Holtz stamp set for a bit and I bought it because I just love the butterfly (you know me and butterflies, I have a soft spot for them) so I decided that this was the stamp I was going to use for this challenge. I haven't used it yet and I always eye it when I go into my stash.
I wanted to make another shadow box (I had made a smaller one here ) for this project and I got this really ugly 8x10 one that someone had painted orangish/red at the thrift store. Since I'm covering it anyway I didn't need to re-paint it. I used Tim Holtz tissue tape in several different designs to cover the outside.
I then used the gold distress stain to add a bit of gold shimmer to it. (please excuse my messy craft area)
I then went through my paper stash and I have this wonderful Graphic 45 paper so I used that for my background. I grunged some of the edges on the smaller pieces and added Distress Ink in Gathered Twigs. I also used some tissue tape and gold distress stain on the smaller papers. I also stamped my butterfly onto the the brown colored sheet for my background. (didn't picture that sorry)
Once that was done, I set them aside to dry. I then stamped my butterfly on a sheet of blank white paper and embossed it with Ranger black embossing powder. I then colored and highlighted with distress markers in various colors.
I then created my set of wings with Wendy Vecchi's Clearly for Art. If you haven't use this stuff, it's fantastic. I can't say enough about it. I colored my clearly for art wings with Alcohol inks in various colors.
I used the same technique with the clearly for art with my flowers. Layering the colors as I went, once that was done you can heat it up and shape it however you want to. If you don't like it, heat it up again and re-shape. The stuff is soooo cool.!!
I also used a background stamp to stamp an image onto one of the larger flowers (clearly for art piece) so that it would match the paper I used. I used Archival Ink in Sepia for this so it would be permanent.
Once that was done I heated these up and shaped them the way I wanted them to look. I'm sorry I forgot to take a picture of that process.
I also created some flowers with the same paper that I used for the background and inked up the edges with Gathered Twigs distress ink.
For one of my other large flowers I used perfect medium to go around the petals edges and then used this really cool Stampendous embossing tinsel. It's shimmery and has a glitter tinge.
I went over this petal with gathered twigs as well.
This is what the flowers looked like once they were put together. I added a brad to each one.
I love the way they came out, so rusty and grungy looking. The Clearly For Art really gave me the effect that I wanted. So cool!!
Here is my project once I put it all together.
Before I put it in the shadow box. I also added some flourishes from one of Tim's movers and shapers dies.
I made the little bead pins here as well. I just put together some beads that matched onto a head pin.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the shadow box I made. :)
I need to find some more of shadow boxes at the thrift store, I enjoy making these.