Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sprucing Up A Cover & I WON!!

I am so excited about this post for a few reasons. .....
One -  The wonderful Mrs. Linda Ledbetter over at Studio L3 was so generous with her last give-a-way. She was giving away a wonderful embroidered apron and she even offered to take it to CHA and have Tim and Mario sign it.!!  I was the lucky winner of this apron and I got it in the mail yesterday. To my surprise it also came with a bunch of goodies, Linda is so generous!! Way generous!! She even made me a beautiful butterfly card.  Here is a pic of my goodies:


Thank you SO MUCH Linda!! It was all so unexpected and wonderful. Your amazing!! 
Another reason I'm excited about this post is that I bought a Dyan Reaveley journal and I'm SO loving it. Well the cover of these journals are blank so that you can really do you own creation on the front so I decided I was going to re-do mine and do something with my cover. I also entered this into the new challenge over at Frilly and Funky which is Spruce it Up. I hope this cover qualifies as a Spruce It Up project, I feel like I did my best to spruce it up. haha!! (how many times can I say that?)
Here is my cover....


To start this multi layered cover I painted my entire cover with Claudine Hellmuth's blank canvas white paint. I love that it's thick and creamy. Once dry I stamped some word background stamps in various colors onto the white. 
So to prep the next layer I used Tim Holtz masking sheets to cut out the designs and flower and the umbrella man and adhered those items to the white here and there. Like the diamonds in the upper right corner. Once those were in place (the mask sheets are great because they are sticky so I knew they wouldn't move) I placed three different colors of Claudine Hellmuth's paints onto my craft sheet and rolled my brayer through one at a time and went across the cover here and there. 
I really tried to blend them equally and make it all random. Once that was done I used Archival stamp pads and misc Tim and Wendy Vecchi  stamps to randomly stamp here and there. I love how you can still see the words in the background behind some of the paint. 
Once that was all dry I took off the masks that I had created and WHALLA! The white is still there through the paint. I then used the reverse part of the umbrella man mask (the outline portion) and stuck it down where my umbrella man was at. I then used some random stamps to fill him in so he wasn't completely white anymore.  I also used a black marker and went around the white designs and umbrella man so they would stand out more. I added a few dots and lines as well. 
I had to add some Dyan Reaveley stuff as well so i stamped the circles on a seperate sheet of paper and colored them and glued those on top here and there. I added some white paint circles as well. I might add a word or two later but I am just loving how it turned out. :)
Thanks for hanging with me today.

Oh, almost forgot, here are the cool masks once I took them off! How cool do they look all painted up and stuff?? I might have to use them permanently on a page sometime.

On the right is the reverse umbrella man I used to stamp inside his outline. 


14 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks so much for your sweet words, Claudine! I'm so happy you're enjoying the goodies, and I know you'll create lots of awesome art with them.

    Your art journal is already fabulous! Dyan would give you a gold star, I have no doubt.

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful light in the world and you deserve to win

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your win and great job on the journal cover. Its gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fabulous your cover is! Love your homemade masks... they are definitely calling to be used again. And what a lovely lady Linda is to include those surprises and her very own handmade creation in your package. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my....what a bunch of lovely stuff you won. Congrats !!!
    Thank you for sharing your lovely and amazing cover. I just love the way you use these bright colors. I love vintage...but your art has so many bright colors. They make me feel happy and make me smile !
    Thank you for re-freshing the idea of using mask. And the left-overs scream to be used in another of your wonderful projects !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my....LOVE your cover ! Your clever use of these bright colors are such an excellent choice !
    Thank you for sharing !!!
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cover, love the vibrant colours ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a cover I bet Dyan herself would be uber impressed with! A seriously great transformation and way to go you, what a win!! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is a cover I bet Dyan herself would be uber impressed with! A seriously great transformation and way to go you, what a win!! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that little umbrella man!! Pretty and bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, this is sensational, Claudine! I definitely think it qualifies for our Spruce it Up challenge. So wonderful the way you built up all the layers. (I love the mask film too - so cool) Beautiful colors and designs - I especially love the way you stamped inside the umbrella man silhouette. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cover Claudine! Love your vibrant colors and fun with all the wonderful techniques! So glad you joined us at Frilly and Funky!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Claudine! Congrats on winning the autographed apron and all of the extra goodies! So happy for you! Your journal cover is bee-u-tiful! I love the colors and your explanation on how you used the masks! My cover is still plain.. :( ..but maybe not for long! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete