Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

The First Time

When was the last time you did something for the first time? I really love this quote from Tim Holtz's stamp set "Way With Words". I decided that I wanted to use it in this project and I also want to enter this into the Frilly and Funky challenge this week. Their theme is "There's No Time To Waste" and it's all about time.



I chose to alter a book cover that I had laying around. It's been sitting on one of my table for a bit now and I have done nothing with it. I want to make some sort of journal out of it but for now I will settle for altering the cover.

The cover is just really thick cardboard so I decided to try out a gesso resist with it. I applied a bit of gesso, let dry and then brushed distress stain over it.



I randomly stamped the background with archival inks pads and misc Tim stamps. I also added some embossing powder here and there.


I then used grungepaper and Tim's weathered clock and gadget gears Sizzix dies. I used acrylic paints in various colors and also distress paint in the metallic colors to paint these. Mostly I just painted with my fingers, no paintbrushes needed.



I also used this Stampendous aged copper enamel embossing powder for the clock parts. This stuff is awesome.


I grabbed some corrugated cardboard and used distress stains and inks to ink them up in various colors.

I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of scratch paper and distressed it using inks. Same with the bird, mostly distress inks. 

I added some metal and flowers and corrugated butterfly (which I colored with distress ink and added embossing powder too) and put it all together and this is how it turned out, what do you think?







Thanks again for coming by, I will be doing product review in my next post for the Genius Ultimate Platform System by Lifestyle crafts. You have to see it!


13 comments:

  1. That's a great cover. Now you need to build some insides~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudine you did an amazing job on this book cover. I love all of the different textures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see you trying something new and with stunning results Claudine! Love the mix of media and that idea of scraping areas of gesso onto the base at the start is a brilliant one. Thanks for joining in at Frilly and Funkie again, hugs Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I like all the texture in it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so beautiful!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, Claudine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it - so much colour and texture. Thanks so much for the step by step - it makes me want to try out some of your great techniques. Margie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love this. WOW!!! Thanks so much for the directions, too. Your blog is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks just stunning! Love all the techniques you used, duch a lovely grungy effect. Hugs Frea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous alterd book ! Love all the texture you've created and the way you've incorporated the clock ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this piece. Thank you for showing how you did it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudine, this is gorgeous! So many details and so tactile! I love it! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete